Domestic and Sexual Violence Advocate
PURPOSE OF POSITION: To provide community outreach, individual and group healing support, and crime victim services to American Indian women, youth, and Two Spirit/Native LGBTQ etc. survivors of domestic and/or sexual violence.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide individual crisis intervention, needs assessment, safety planning and referral, and crime victim services to Native American primary and secondary survivors of domestic and/or sexual violence
- Assist in outreach efforts to Native women, youth, and Two Spirit/Native LGBTQ etc. individuals experiencing or at risk for domestic and/or sexual violence, including commercial sexual exploitation/sex trafficking
- Facilitate support groups onsite at MIWRC and at off-site locations, including Minnesota correctional facilities
- Collaborate and network with other organizations, including community coalitions and local Police Department collaborations
- Plan and provide public speaking to professional and community groups on sexual violence, including sexual assault/abuse and victims' rights.
- Maintain accurate client files and group lists in both electronic database and paper formats as requested.
- Prepare monthly reports and maintain statistical data as requested.
- Attend training and meetings as required by the position.
- Respond to other duties as assigned by the Director of Programs and/or MIWRC Executive Director.
- Documented experience working with survivors of domestic and sexual violence. Individuals with experience in street outreach and harm reduction are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Documented experience working with Native American women and families.
- Knowledge and understanding of systems of violence and trauma, including inter-generational effects of historical trauma.
- Valid driver's license with a satisfactory driving record required.
- Must be willing to submit to DHS Criminal Background Study.
- Must have completed or be willing to complete 40-hour Sexual Assault Advocacy Training program.
- BSW or similar degree preferred, but not required.
REPORTING AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Domestic and Sexual Violence Advocate reports directly to the Director of Programs. Advocate may supervise program volunteers and/or interns as appropriate.
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Regular part-time; flexible schedule; Exempt
RATE OF PAY: $18.75 - $20.68 / Hour
HOW TO APPLY: Send resume, cover letter to
or mail both to:
Minnesota Indian Women's Resource Center
2300 15th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55404
MIWRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer