Coming Up Strong Advocate
POSITION PURPOSE: To provide prevention, intervention, healing support, and crime victim services advocacy to adult American Indian women, American Indian youth, and Two Spirit/Native LGBT survivors of domestic/intimate partners’ violence.
- Experience working with survivors of domestic/intimate partner violence.
- Experience working with American Indian women and families.
- Knowledge and understanding of systems of violence and trauma, including inter-generational effects of historical trauma.
- Valid driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record required and provide proof of auto insurance.
- Must be willing to submit and pass DHS Criminal Background Study.
- BSW or similar degree preferred, but not required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES Include but are not limited to:
- Provide individual counseling, assessment of needs, crisis intervention, safety planning and referral, and law enforcement/court advocacy and other crime victim services to American Indian primary and secondary survivors of domestic/intimate partner violence.
- Facilitate MIWRC weekly Domestic/Intimate Partner Violence support group, and other support groups assigned by supervisor.
- Collaborate and network with other organizations, including the local Police Department.
- Record and keep accurate and up-to-date client files and accurate group list.
- Assist in outreach efforts to the American Indian population.
- Assist in recruitment and training of volunteers and interns as appropriate.
- Prepare monthly reports for supervisor and maintain statistical data.
- Plan and provide public speaking to professional and community groups on domestic/intimate partner violence, including sexual assault/abuse and victims’ rights.
- Be available occasional Saturday mornings or Saturday afternoons for group facilitations at the Adult Correctional Facility, Federal Corrections Institution, and occasional events for crisis advocacy and meetings.
- Attend training and meetings as required by the position.
- Respond to other duties as assigned by the Director of Operations and/or MIWRC Executive Director.
REPORTING AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Coming Up Strong Advocate reports directly to the Director of Programs. Advocate may supervise program volunteers and/or interns as appropriate.
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Regular; Part-time; Exempt
HOW TO APPLY: Send resume and complete Employment Application to HR@miwrc.org, Minnesota Indian Women’s Resource Center, 2300 – 15th Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55404; 612-728-2000; fax 612-728-2039.
Equal Opportunity Employer